Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Soccer fever

To be honest, I was a lot more of a soccer fan in previous years than I have been ever since I came to Canada. But I have always been a World Cup soccer follower, ever since 1998 where France topped Brazil in the final (whaaaat!?) - and the next world cup they got eliminated in the first round (*sigh*).

But anyways, this year's World Cup is nothing like I expected. Of course, one might have an idea of the most popular teams to win the World Cup like Germany or Brazil. My favourites for this year are Spain and Portugal. Spain because I am loyal to their players I have known for a while: Casillas, Fermando Torres, Xavi, and former player Raul Gonzales. And Portugal because of good looking Cristiano Ronaldo :D But I also have other favourites like Argentina, England, and Germany. Jacob is cheering for Germany. I made a list of predictions of who gets classified in the first rounds:

GROUP A
South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France
Qualify: Mexico (A1) and South Africa (A2)

GROUP B
Argentina
Nigeria
Korea Republic
Greece
Qualify: Argentina (B1) and Nigeria (B2)

GROUP C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia
Qualify: England (C1) and USA (C2)

GROUP D
Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana
Qualify: Germany (D1) and Ghana (D2)

GROUP E
Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon
Qualify: Cameroon (E1) and Netherlands (E2)

GROUP F
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia
Qualify: Italy (F1) and Paraguay (F2)

GROUP G
Brazil
Korea DPR
Cote d'Ivoire
Portugal
Qualify:Portugal (G1) and Brazil (G2)

GROUP H
Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile
Qualify: Spain (H1) and Chile (H2)

But if there is anything we learned from the first round of matches, is that anything is possible and that you cannot relay on the big names. During the first round: England tied with the United States, Germany lost to Serbia, Italy has been tieing with other countries, Brazil won by slight difference, and Spain lost against Switzerland. Like, what's going on here? Disappointed about my fav teams.

The second round hasn't been as bad as the first round. What has been the most exciting was the game of Portugal versus Korea 7- 0. Holy cow! And I thought the 4 - 0 from Germany versus Australia was impressive.

And what's up with the vuvuzelas? Apparently they have a lot to say in this world cup. Are they really that annoying? Or are they just a justification on the poor play of some teams and they can have something to blame on? From a television point of view, I don't see what the whole deal about vuvuzelas is about. But I guess if I were at the game and there are tons of people blowing on the vuvuzela, I would probably kick every single vuvuzela in the face - if they had one. And apparently is a very african thing the vuvuzela. Hm, maybe find a substitute for it, or I don't really know. But it was funny to read that the selling of earplugs has increased tremendously since the start of the World Cup. Haha. Not surprised.

I am still wondering what would have happened if Costa Rica had made it for the World Cup. I think it will be in the same position as Honduras right now. Hopeless. There's even a commercial about it, putting our country to shame and it's funny for us, because we know we suck.


Argentinian: You have no idea of how excited I am to see my country playing in the world cup. Are you costarican? I feel so sorry for you. I have an advice for you, how bad it's to see other countries playing. It's depressing. Turn off the TV, go to the beach. You are so good at the beach. *sings* Go, go*
Voice: the joy that the costarican team didn't give to you, we'll give it to you.

Now I'm just waiting for a country like Switzerland or Paraguay or Slovenia to take the cup home. That'd be a shocker, but a good shocker. But I don't know, still hoping that Spain and Protugal make it till the end. Who's gonna win? I don't know, but I'm excited to find out.

Who are you going for?

No comments:

Post a Comment