Tuesday, May 25, 2010

lost in LOST

****************************************
SPOILER ALERT!!
SPOILER ALERT!!
SPOILER ALERT!!
****************************************

What a catch-phrase to hear from people who used to watch LOST the first couple seasons but then stopped because they just couldn't understand the show. But for someone who has been watching LOST since episode 1 of season 1, I can still say that phrase after watching the (unfortunetly) show finale. After 6 years, I feel a little disappointed about the ending of the show, and felt like I have lost 6 years of my life watching the show (no pun intended). LOST is known for not giving answers and keeping the mystery of the island. This is my summary of the 6 seaons:

Season 1: we crashed on an island
Season 2: we're still on the island, we also discovered a hatch
Season 3: we're still on the island, there are other people on the island
Season 4: we left the island, wait, now we have to go back
Season 5: time travelling wtf?!
Season 6: we all died

It's been a very long journey, from plane crash, polar bears, pressing numbers over and over again, mysterious places on the island, an evil black smoke, people dieing, people who appeared out of nowhere, magic potions, weird statues, time travelling, food that came out of nowhere, the Dharma logo appearing everywhere, lots of explosions, frozen turning wheel, a mysterious hatch, a light source inside a cave, electromagnetism, dieing, and crazy people. Sounds like a messed up longass dream from a person on crack, doesn't it? It has always been about binaries in life: life vs. death, choice vs. free will, good vs. bad, science vs. faith.

For me, the show left me with more questions than answers. I had the hopes that this season they would answer all the questions from past seasons. Even thought the major questions were answered, like why were they on the island? who was Jacob? what makes the island so special? etc. This bugged me because promos promised time for answers, when really, I wasn't very satisfied with the answers, nor the ending. The ending for me was rather emotional than rational. I was obviously looking for the rational part. That was why I hated the ending because there were not enough action nor mystery solving. Like, why is Ben not in the church? why Jack didn't recite the spell before giving the water to Hurley to drink? did Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Miles die? Why was Christian Sheppard in the church? Why is Penny there? Did MIB really die, even though he wasn't pushed to the ocean off the island? What if the mother and Jacob were wrong? Why couldn't MIB leave the island? Couple of my other questions can be found here.

However, on the other side, I liked the emotional part of the ending, seeing all the couples and everybody reunited once again. It is kinda nice what Christian said, that no one dies alone, we all need them as much as they need us. It was cute the image when Jack is dieing and the dog Vincent (how the hell he lived for so long?) laid down next to Jack so he doesn't die alone. I think it was beautifully composed for an ending (maybe after they explained everything I needed). The background son, the slow-motion, seeing everybody from first season which brings memories, all the couple resunited, the light in the end....And the last scene where Jack sees the airplane up in the sky (because he promised them to get them out of the island), and then he closes his eyes (as opposed to the first scene where he opens his eyes), seems to be a fitting closure for the show. End what it started. Very touching, it made me cry a little.

So I guess the finale could go both ways for people. Seems like believers (like the catch phrase "I wish you could believe me") were happy with the ending; whereas science peeople are still looking for answers to the questions. But I guess part of the show is to leave mysteries open to public and have them make their own meaning of it. Since life after all, doesn't provide all the answers about the mystery of life; we just need to realize how important people around us are.

No comments:

Post a Comment