Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's strange, it's eerie, it's Tim Burton

Couple days ago I went to the Tim Burton Exhibition at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in downtown with a friend and it was Incredible!!

Tim Burton exhibition started on November 26th, 2010 and runs until April 17th, 2011.

The exhibition contains his sketch works for his films, a few his early drawings, his early works, few short films, aside projects he has worked one, a really cool glow in the dark maquette, few sculptures, and costumes that were use for some of his films. I must say it was really cool to look at his artwork. I find it fascinating how his creative mind works. Most of his drawings are so eerie, weird, but in a cool sense. Like, how could you come up with THAT!? Lots of monsters drawings, but they were all cute and funny. Colours here and there. Some drawings are very complex with lots of details, whereas others look like a 5-year-old drew it. It's so cool how his imagination works and it looks like it has no limits. I wish I was that creative.

I have always had a fascination with Tim Burton. I love most of his movies and I just love his style. I even wrote an essay about him for my first year's film course. What I like about his style is that the pictures are a distortion of reality, like houses look crooked, exaggerated facial expressions, checkers and stripes patterns, and lots of curls. I first fell in love with his artwork with Nightmare Before Christmas, I was obsessed with Jack and I had his face on my backpack, my door-stopper, etc. Then the rest is history. I also love that Johnny Depp is in a lot of his movies. He just fits in so perfectly in Tim Burton's style. Same with Helena Bonham Carter. On top of that I love Danny Elf's music composition.

Here is a list of films he directed and/or produced (bold = favourites):
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)
- Batman (1989)
- Batman Forever (1995)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- Beetlejuice (1988)
- Big Fish (2003)
- Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (2005)
- Corpse Bride (2005)
- Ed Wood (1994)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Frankenweenie (1984)
- James and the Giant Peach (1996)
- Mars Attacks! (1996)
- Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
- Planet of Apes (2001)
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
- Vincent (1982)

Here is the short film for Vincent. I like it cuz It's narrated by Vincent Prince himself and the story rhymes:


Do you like Tim Burton? If so, what is/are your favourite movie(s)? Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment