Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I've been Inceptioned

I finally went to the theatres to watch Inception with Leonardo DiCaprio (not that I went to see the movie with him, but he's in the movie). I really had to go watch it because people were just like "Holy Shizah that movie is MINDBLOWING!" or "OMG that movie is the best movie ever!" or "That movie was soooooo friggin good that I went to see it twice/three times". So I had to go to see what I was missing. And I went to see it last week, and I thought it was a really cool concept for a movie (though I wonder in what kind of crack will make Christopher Nolan come up with this idea). The special effects were superb and the plot was very deep (and confusing of course). I would like to talk about it a little bit more.

___________________________________________________
***************WARNING***************************************
************MOVIE SPOILER ALERT*****************************
___________________________________________________

It's needless to say that the movie was very confusing with the whole dream levels. The fact that they make dreams go back and forth create some sort of maze in our minds making me feel trapped and confused about what is real and what is not, which is pretty much the main point of the movie. That is why it's so popular, because it keeps people discussing about it, making theories around it, especially the ending.

This image explains the dreams in short:


The special effects were my favourite thing in the movie. The whole bending the street over...folding mirrors and create a bridge...and Arthur flying around like there's no gravity (did you also think of Matrix?).

The actors were kinda random, but Im sure they played a good part in their roles. Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing, Ellen Page is one of my favourites, Joseph-Gordon Levitt is awesome, and I didn't recognize Cillian Murphy but I remember seeing him somewhere else (28 Days Later).

The script and plot were genius and mindblowing. Getting into people's dreams to extract information or plant an idea in their minds? WOW. Dom Cobb said something in the film that was kinda frightening. He said that this was used by the military to pretty much brainwash people's minds or something like that. It's a scary thought, because how do we know that the government isn't controlling what we think? Well, we pretty much know that they do, because they have done it before (like in German Nazi). But it is SUCH a powerful and dangerous ability to get into people's mind and change them the way they think, dontcha think? But anyways, I liked the concepts like "limbo", "kicks", "totems" and aging/time in the dream vs aging/time in real life and how these were incorporated into the plot. What would be your totem?

I feel like leaving the theatre is kinda like Inception on us. Making us believe whatever the movie told us. But also makes us wonder what is real? what is a dream? where's the line? how do we know?

The ending certainly gives us lots to think about. When Cobb spins the spinning top in the last scene. The audience waits for it to weather it keeps spinning or it will stop after wobbling for a while. So, if it continues to spin, it's a dream; if it stops, it's reality. I did'nt interpreted the end as most people did, like weather it was a dream or not. I interpreted it as he finally let go of Mal, and now her projection will no longer get in the way of Cobb's dreams. Therefore, I think in the end he was dreaming. And the spinning top that didn't stop meant that he will live in his dream forever cuz the top will keep spinning forever. But at the same time, I've been reading some theories online, and some say that the end scene was real because in Cobb's dream, he still has his marriage ring. When he is not dreaming, he doesn't have his marriage ring. But that's Nolan's magic: make an open ending, which allows people to interpret it any way they want.

Jacob said maybe there will be an Inception 2 where they follow that. Hahah. Wouldn't be a bad idea. Shhh....I shouln't expose his great ideas to public.

No comments:

Post a Comment