Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Facebook says we're friends

There is something that really bothers me and I have to let it out.

Now, during my first three years of university I began to know a lot of people and made a lot of new friends. Some of them I had a lot in common with, others no so much. Therefore, I got along with some people better than I did with others. I don't blame it, we all have different tastes and different personalities.

In my first year, it was an exciting experience, since we were all new to this 'university world' so we were all friendly to literally Everybody.

In second year, people became better friends with some people, while others have changed and decided that they like hanging out with a different group of people.

In third year you realize who your friends are and you start hanging out with them a lot. And it's just *that* group of friends. So people became more 'clique'.

I used to live in residence for three years of university and made great friends, and I had a lot of people to count on. But this fourth year, I decided to live with one of my best friends, another friend who has become a lot closer to me now, and 6 other people I really don't talk much to.

But my point with this post is that friendships are fragile. There are two kinds of friendship: real friendship and friendship by convenience. I used to have three let's say 'best friends' (but now it's cut into two because one of them has changed her path by choosing another school). I realized that friendship is something that is very vulnerable to be broken at any time, even the strongest bonds. It is sad to realize also, that even with my two remaining best friends, I don't know them entirely and we don't communicate with each other as frequent as I want it to be. Well, one of them does, but that's majorly because we live together.

It's funny that I used to be able to count on a lot of people back then. Like I used to have a best guy friend who I told everything about my life to. Ever since we don't live on the same floor in residence, like this year, we haven't spoken a word to each other. We met only once, but my other guy friend was there also, so they ended up talking to each other about 'guys stuff' like videogames.

Something broke my heart recently, well kinda recently. I used to work for the College Student Council, and we had this office where people can just come in and hang out. I used to be there all the time last year because it was part of my work and because I liked the people there. This year, I haven't been there much; partly because my classes are not around there and it is kind of a far away walk to/from my house, and partly because people I used to call friends are not much friends with me anymore.

So one day, since I had to do some errands nearby, I decided to pay a visit to my old beloved office, and probably say hi to some people there because I kinda miss seeing them. When I got in, there were three people sitting there. These three people who I used to consider them friends, especially I used to date one of them. So I walked in, all smiley, with my friendliest "heeeey, what's up guys?" And the response from them was this really really cold "hey" from them. And after that, they just stood up and walked away. There was no "hey Katie, we haven't seen you for a while, what's up", no "oh hi Katie, I'm doing well, how are you", or "oh what a surprise to see you around here!" Where did the courtesy go these days??!

Ironicly enough, when I was walking back, I bumped into a girl who I haven't talk to in a long while. I wouldn't even consider her as a friend because we don't talk much or see her often. When she saw me, she picked me up from the ground, gave me a BIIIIG hug, and twirled me around. She was apparently very enthusiastic to see me.

Wow, someone who's not a friend treated me better than someone who I used to call a friend? What has the world come to?

Let's see what we are talking about here. My best guy friend "Paul" (not real name) who I used to tell everything to, I haven't talked to him this year. But my friend "Clarissa" whom I don't really talk to says hi to me all the time. My friend "Anthony" whom I have helped in with a lot of things ignores me completely. But this "Amanda" who I don't talk to, gives me the warmest hug ever. And "Brian", a guy who I used to ignore and make fun of, treats me a lot better than my old friends.

This whole idea just makes me appreciate whoever is around me a lot more. I should really pay back to those people who have given attention to me when I didn't, and reconsider who my real friends are.

So when "Anthony" ignored me that time, and now is only talking to me because he wanted my help....well he is going to get a cold response from me (but still kinda of helping). But really, he should deserve a slap on the face. Karma is a b*tch.

No comments:

Post a Comment