Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dear 16 year old me

I came across a video called "Dear 16 year old me" which is an awareness video about Melanoma, a sort of skin cancer. It portrays several people, from their mid twenties to maybe fifties, giving life advices to their younger versions (like 'don't get that perm. it's not as awesome as it looks"). But then we realize they are actually Melanoma survivors, and they try to get their message across young teenagers or even older people, about Melanoma, the causes, the symptoms, treatments for it, and how to prevent it. It actually got me thinking about protecting my own skin. I'm glad I don't go to tanning beds and makes me think I should put on sunscreen when I go out. It's a very moving video. Watch it and get informed:




But on other note, it makes me think if only I could make a video to my younger me. Doesn't have to do with Melanoma, but since I was 16 years old, I've done things I regret. I was probably in grade 9, just starting my new school, where I didn't know anyone and there was a culture shock since I used to feel comfortable speaking Spanish in my other schools but in this one, the predominant language was English, and I did't feel comfortable with that. At the same time, I was becoming more of an adolescent, with all the hormone thing and going guy-crazy lol. I'm not gonna make a video, but I'm sure to write a note, with the same title.

Dear sixteen year old me:
Just be yourself. You don't need to impress people and you don't need to deliver a certain image of yourself to prove that you are cool because you are already naturally cool. So weather you are in your surfer phase, or skater punk phase, or even the country phase; there is no need of labeling what you are: dressing a certain way, own certain stuff, etc. You can like them all at the same time and still be you.

Dear sixteen year old me:
You should also go to college instead of university, because having an university degree doesn't guarantee you a job after graduation, but there are higher chances after college. Or you should take the field course in communications, so you can get an internship while you study. It does exist!

Dear sixteen year old me:
You should become more active during high school so you get more experiences for university, like participating in drama, sports and other stuff. You should also become even more active during university by being active member at clubs and make connections, then you can put that in resume.

Dear sixteen year old me:
In most social situations, just go with your gut. If your gut tells you not to do something, it is probably right.

Dear sixteen year old me:
Whatever you do, don't do online dating. Just...just don't even bother. Bad idea.

Dear sixteen year old me:
Don't be shy. Talk to people. You are likeable. Don't let anything on your way to be social because the more people you know the better. Extend your social network. Nurture those relationships. You never know who might be able to help you when you need it. There are lots of good people out there. Also bad people, but your guts can tell the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment